If you are concerned that your child has a special educational need (SEN), in the first instance we ask that you speak to your child’s class teacher who will then follow up your concerns. Concerns can be discussed at parents’ evenings which are held twice a year, or by making an appointment to meet with your child’s class teacher at any point throughout the school year.
The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) is also available to speak to every Tuesday and Thursday between 9:00am-3:30pm. The SENCO is responsible for:
- Coordinating all the support for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
- Ensuring that you are:
- involved in supporting your child’s learning
- kept informed about the support your child is getting
- involved in reviewing how they are doing
- Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning.
- Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are up to date records of your child’s progress and needs.
- Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.