Home Page

Spalding Primary School

Learning Together, Succeeding Together

Log in
Following the inspection on the 24th April our school has maintained a "Good" rating. The letter can be viewed on our page Key Information/Ofsted
Home Page

Spalding Primary School

Learning Together, Succeeding Together

What will the school do to support my child?

All children at Spalding Primary School, regardless of their need, receive excellent classroom teaching known as Quality First Teaching.


This means:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class within well differentiated ability groups. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully monitored your child’s progress and may have noticed that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


However, we recognise that each child's needs are unique and so each child will receive different support, depending upon their specific needs. The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) and class teacher will decide which strategies and resources are appropriate to support your child's needs. Where outside agencies are involved, they will provide advice about how best to support your child's needs.


Any pupil identified as having a special educational need and/or disability is on the SEND register. Extra help will be given to these pupils to help them to make progress. Some examples of ways we may support your child further may include:


Specific group work within a smaller group of children
This group or one to one support may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups.

SEN Support

  • Your child may engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Teaching Assistant/teacher or outside professional may run these small group/individual sessions
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) or Educational Psychologist (EP). This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with you, your child, class teacher and SENCO to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set specific targets which will include their expertise
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group

This type of support is available for a child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning and those who have been identified as requiring SEN Support.


Education, Health and Care Plans

From September 2014, 'Statements' were replaced by 'Education, Health and Care Plans'. This document will continue to outline a pupil's special educational need and the support that the school needs to put in place to help them, but it's a much more child friendly document, based around the pupil and their family.


Only children with the most complex and significant special educational needs will be considered for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). If you think your child needs a EHCP you will need to discuss your concerns with the school Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), who will advise you about whether your child needs an Education, Health and Care Plan and only once the school has exhausted its provision and outside agency support, will this be considered. These discussions are normally held at a review meeting with outside agencies.